Oiltanking announces sale of its terminal in Mozambique
Oiltanking GmbH announces today that it has completed the sale of its investment in Matola Terminal de Armazenamento de Petróleos S.A. (formerly known as Oiltanking Matola S.A.) to a consortium of Energi Asia DMCC and Al Braik Investments LLC, both based in the United Arab Emirates.
Oiltanking GmbH announces today that it has completed the sale of its investment in Matola Terminal de Armazenamento de Petróleos S.A. (formerly known as Oiltanking Matola S.A.) to a consortium of Energi Asia DMCC and Al Braik Investments LLC, both based in the United Arab Emirates. Matola Terminal de Armazenamento de Petróleos S.A. owns and operates a 59,600 cbm petroleum products terminal in the port of Matola in Mozambique.
Effective May 31, 2021, the consortium took over all employees, operations, customer contracts and legal ownership of Matola Terminal de Armazenamento de Petróleos S.A.
As part of the transaction, Oiltanking GmbH sells its 80% interest in Matola Terminal de Armazenamento de Petróleos S.A. The remaining 20% continue to be held by local companies. The financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
The divestment of the Matola terminal supports Oiltanking’s strategy 2025 and is a result of the continuous evaluation and optimization of Oiltanking’s asset portfolio in the direction of the strategy. The terminal was the only investment of Oiltanking in Mozambique.
The Matola terminal is located in direct vicinity of Mozambique’s capital Maputo with excellent connections for seagoing vessels, rail cars and tank trucks. The facility is primarily an import terminal that serves both the local market in the South of Mozambique as well as the surrounding countries. The terminal is primarily dedicated to the storage of gasoline, gasoil and kerosene.
Oiltanking GmbH is a subsidiary of Marquard & Bahls, an agile, independent holding company in the energy & chemical sector. Oiltanking is one of the largest independent tank storage providers for gases, chemicals and petroleum products worldwide. The company owns and operates 45 terminals in 20 countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific including China and India. Oiltanking has an overall storage capacity of more than 18.5 million cbm.
Energi Asia DMCC is a subsidiary of Energi Holding Limited (Energi), a fuels distributor headquartered in Dubai, UAE, focused on delivering heat, light and mobility products and services to people all over the world. Energi owns and operates over 2 million barrels (0,3 million cbm) of renewable fuels, crude oil, petroleum products, chemicals and vegetable oil storage across Pakistan and Africa. Energi’s focus is on building sustainable, independent liquid storage terminals, infrastructure and logistics business that provides safe and reliable solutions for its customers. The acquisition of the Matola terminal demonstrates Energi’s continued commitment in strengthening its infrastructure in Africa and supporting customers with both conventional and alternative fuel storage needs.
Al Braik Investments LLC is a diversified holding company founded in 2007 in the UAE to consolidate various entities owned by Al Braik family, some of which have been in operation since 1985. The businesses of Al Braik include oil and gas, real estate, heavy industrial engineering and operations, franchising, hotel management and general trading across the Gulf region and in Africa. For over three decades, Al Braik has provided oil exploration and production services and has overseen consulting, drilling, engineering, resource allocation as well as environmental and safety management of major pan-country projects. Al Braik was the first to explore gas deposits in Mozambique and to commercialize Mozambican gas exports to South Africa. Al Braik’s penetration into the Matola fuels storage market helps to consolidate its operations and aggregate its position as a one-stop industry player in the local oil and gas market.